karibu

Do you have comments,views or opinions about the blog's content or anything else which you would like other viewers to see?
please send them to
p.0.box 75317
E-mail:eddiendege@hotmail.com

May 22, 2010





Pardon my cynicism, but in New York City I am forever meeting individuals who are self-proclaimed artists, writers, composers, producers and recently, fashion designers. I say self-proclaimed because saying it doesnt make it so and in the art world, credentials can be as simple as a proclamation or business card.



I once met a fellow tenant in my office building who worked for a company specializing in branding. He offered his services and card - below his name was printed "Creative Expert." Rather incredulous that any one would not only make such a bold assertion but then commit it to print, I showed my graphic artist the card. Unfettered, my friend assured me that many people will believe what you say, particularly if printed on your card. She told me of an instance where she was called for a job - the client had been told that she was a Photoshop expert, which she was not. But it had been said. To this day, we use the phrase Creative Expert as a source of amusement in our office.



So, when I met Geary Marcello and in the ensuing conversation he told me he was a fashion designer, I just filed it for future investigation. His business card read "Creative Director. Couture Women's Wear Special Occasion and Costume Design." Now my antenna went up. Creative director, fashion designer - these are real jobs, not the more incredulous and nebulous, Creative Expert. And certainly a man with a septum curl, tongue chain, goatee and tattoos is not an ordinary man. But none of this saying makes it so.



Some online searching and a visit to his website certainly looked like Geary was in fact who he said he is. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. After all, this is New York, center of the American fashion industry and a city whose streets are populated with many exceptional people. This website is filled with examples of celebrated individuals I have met in ordinary places. I am reminded of my encounter with Afghan popstar Walid Soroor who I met in an Indian restaurant in Jackson Heights, Queens - see here.



Of course the eternal cynic sees the Internet as just another incarnation of the devil's playground - a new place where saying it doesn't make it so and a forum for the Creative Expert :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Eddie

Followers